Wednesday, December 16, 2009

I want it all and I want it now


  • Give me money - you owe me
  • Have sex with me - I want and need it
  • Hire me - you owe me a living
  • Treat me special - I am better than you
  • Entertain me or I will not play
  • Do for me because I do not want to do myself
  • I would rather steal from then earn your business
  • You exist so serve me - I have no obligation to serve you
  • Do as I say not as I do - I know what is best for you
  • I cannot do that work - it is beneath me

So much of society these day is based on entitlement. People wanting things they have not earned. The whole healthcare debate is a prime example of this. I will not be political rather I will explain it with a question - if the programs and reforms are so good for us then should not the people crafting the legistlation be themselves willing to enroll ihemselves and their family into the program and prop their seperate system.

I am all for helping others and making sure that people are provided for and I am not even going to get into choice, rather I am speaking of a time old leadership principles.
How many of you remember:
  • Never ask people to do anything you are not willing to do yourself.
  • Never think you are any better than anyone else.
  • Lead by example.
  • Any work you do is a reflection on you regardless of what it is

So, what is the point of this post - a few simple questions:
  • When did we become so insecure and exploitative?
  • What happened to the dignity of work?
  • What happened to the concept of integrity?
  • When did appearance become more important than substance?
  • When did pride become the norm?
  • What happened to service before self?
  • Why when people are successful or achieve some feat do the seek to tear them down, find flaws or in some manner destroy them instead of asking how did they do that and what lessons can I learn from them?

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites