Saturday, December 13, 2008

Internet Scam Series – Money / Dead Person or Relative

You are contacted and a distant relative died or they want you to act as a broker and you will receive some % of the money. In this scam there is usually a hacker off shore who asks you to set up an account and they steal money from someone else put in your account and ask you to wire or transfer the balance to them. You are then charged with quite a few crimes and since they are off shore they have the money and you are no where to be found. 

These emails often say UK but ironically Russia is the worst for this sort of Cyber Crime 

 

 

91 - 94 Shorts Gardens

Covent Garden, WC2H 9AA

London, United Kingdom.

 

In appreciation of your esteemed contact received through a reliable Source and the choice of your country. I wish to introduce myself. I am Mr. Tim Byuce, a solicitor at law. I am the personal attorney to Mr. Terrill Prue, An American, who was a contractor and a businessman here in London

On the 30th of April 2000, my client, his wife and their three children were involved in a car accident in which all occupants of the vehicle died. My client {Terrill} deposited as family belongings in a bank here in London, the sum of £20 Million British Pound, with the hope of transferring it to his country as soon as he is on leave. 

Since his death I have made several attempts to locate any of my clients extended relatives, but this attempt so far has been unsuccessful. 

After these several unsuccessful attempts, hence I contacted you. I have contacted you to assist in repatriating the money and property left behind by my client before they get confiscated or declared unserviceable by the Bank where the deposit was made. 

Now the Bank has issued me a notice to provide the next of kin or have the money confiscated within the next fourteen official working days. Since I have been unsuccessful in locating the relatives for over 2 years now. I seek your consent to present you as the next of kin of the deceased. All legal documents to aid your claim for this fund and to prove your relationship with the deceased will be arranged for. Your help will be appreciated with 30% of the total sum. 

All I require is your honest co-operation to enable us see this deal through. I guarantee that this will be executed under a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of the law. Please accept my apologies, keep my confidence and disregard this letter if you do not appreciate this proposition I have offered you. However, if you do please include your phone and fax number in your response for better communication. God bless you and your family. 

Best Regards, 

Tim Byuce. 

 

Yes, the above is an example of a real letter.

They will ask you to visit them in their country or they may ask you setup a bank account and give them the account number so they can transfer the fund, or another variant is they will ask you to put up good faith money promising your great returns.  Would not advise even bothering – either give to your lawyer to respond (if it is legal they will not have a problem) or just delete email.

No comments:

Add to Technorati Favorites